We’ve got a quick turnaround ahead of Gameweek 24 as Wednesday features a midweek clash with the Chicago Fire traveling north of the border to take on the Montreal Impact.
It’s also a busy Tuesday evening with the US Open Cup semifinals taking place as my beloved New York Red Bulls travel to Ohio to take on FC Cincinnati in front of an expected 30,000+ fans. We won’t leave you hanging though – here are our Round 24 MLS Fantasy picks!!
♦ Evan Bush (GK), Laurent Ciman(D) Ignacio Piatti (M), Blerim Dzemaili (M)
○ Montreal is coming around a bit form-wise, and is looking especially attractive with two home matches in Round 24. Evan Bush and Laurent Ciman are our picks on the defensive side of the ball, whereas we stick with midfielders Ignacio Piatti and Blerim Dzemaili as our attacking options.
○ Additional options here with a higher risk of rotation are defender Chris Duvall (who offers decent bonus potential from the fullback position) and newcomer Samuel Piette.
♦ Joao Meira (D), Johan Kappelhof (D), Dax McCarty (M), Nemanja Nikolic (F)
○ With the exception of Nemanja Nikolic (who is too talented to pass up on for a double-duty round), we opted for players with strong bonus potential this round. Dax McCarty is a high floor player no matter who the opponent is, and either Joao Meira or Johan Kappelhof will be good for a decent defensive bonus contribution even when facing tough matchups like Montreal(A) or Toronto(H). However, we recommend only starting one of the two and, at most, keeping the other in a switcheroo if you feel as though you need both on your squad this round.
○ Michael de Leeuw and David Accam are also viable options here, although their high work rates make them prime candidates for rotation in Round 24. Bastian Scheweinsteiger may also be limited as well if Veljko Paunovic wants to give him some additional rest as the club looks to push through the final third of the season
Defensive Picks (GK/D)
• Joevin Jones (SEA) - The entire Seattle defense is in phenomenal form, and Jones has been the top fantasy performer of the bunch.
• Alexander Callens (NYC) - New England has struggled on the road this season, while NYC has won three of their last four and should roll at home.
• Nathan Smith (LAG) - The perfect on-a-bye value pick at 3.5m to plug that switcheroo.
Attacking Picks (M/F)
• Diego Valeri (POR) - New York played a full 120 on Tuesday in the US Open Cup and immediately travel to the west coast for a Friday night match. Furthermore, they will likely have many of their key starters on the bench. All signs are pointing to a big night for Portland.
• Nico Lodeiro (SEA) - Minnesota leads the league in Goals Against and travels to a red-hot Seattle. Need I say more?
• Cristian Roldan (SEA) - For those who can’t afford Lodeiro.
• David Villa (NYC) - He’s been on fire, and is the leading MVP candidate at the moment. Approaching Giovinco-In-2015 levels in terms of being a must-start player.
• Clint Dempsey (SEA) - Pairs off quite well with Villa for any managers who believe Nikolic will continue to slump this weekend.